Customer Search & Job Scheduling Experience
Fall 2018 - Fall 2019
A project that was ongoing from Sept 2018 to Nov 2019. The design was completed in several stages as it was started and shelved several times before the product was finally retired in December 2019.
- User research, user testing, customer journeys, user flows, personas, information architecture, task analysis
- Kurt Stangl, Mike Spencer, Denise Nadal, David Cloyd
The Design Process
One of the most frequent complaints about the Pointman app was that it was difficult to view information about customers and jobs, because the information was spread out across several screens. It was design debt our team had inherited, and I took the initiative to start exploring solutions in order to convince key stakeholders to invest in solving this problem for our users.
I started with really basic information design, based on the common workflow for a Customer Service Rep scheduling a new job for their organization.
The designs received positive feedback from stakeholders, but it was difficult getting them prioritized until we started losing customers due to the existing experience not meeting their needs. Once the design debt started affecting our bottom line, our design team finally got traction on moving this project along.
Now that it was a high priority for everyone, I dived deep into exploring the customer journey and tested my designs against several key workflows. With guidance from the Product Director we were able to come up with a fresh modern design that made it easy to complete common tasks.
Unfortunately due to external business factors and changing company priorities, the timeline to deliver the final project wasn’t acceptable to the Strategy Team, and we pivoted to a new project.
Part of validating this design and workflow was running it through several common and uncommon scenarios. For this example, we follow the workflow of a Customer Service Rep responding to a call from a Landlord asking for information about a recent job completed at a tenant’s house.
The Final Result
The final design was presented and approved by all the stakeholders involved, but was never put into production due to limited resources and shifting company priorities.
In hindsight, I wished that I fought harder to keep this project moving, but it’s a lesson learned for the future.